Your browser is out of date! Upgrade to a different browser or install Google Chrome Frame to experience this site.

For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.

Community Accountancy and Payroll

Our Community Accountancy Service provides a range of accounting services, advice and information to support voluntary groups, charities and social enterprises in Barnsley. 

We can help with:

  • Book keeping and setting up financial systems
  • Budgets & cash flow
  • Management accounts
  • Preparation of annual accounts
  • Year end Independent Examination of accounts
  • Grant returns and meeting requirements of funders
  • Compliance with Charity Commission and Companies House regulations
  • Back-fill for finance related work, to cover staff sickness and holiday periods
  • Training, on an individual or group basis

Payroll Bureau

We also have a competitively priced Payroll Bureau and can provide practical support, information and advice for groups who employ staff. Through the Payroll Bureau we offer:

  • Payroll calculation and the production of monthly/weekly pay slips on how multi-faceted payroll system
  • Production of essential payroll reports
  • Help with payroll, tax and Inland Revenue queries
  • Year end data, P60’s and assistance with year end queries
  • Advice and training on any payroll issues, such as absence, SSP, SMP and record keeping

The benefits of using VAB for your accountancy services

All charities are required to manage funds and prepare year end accounts to comply with charity law. At VAB we specialise in voluntary sector finance and can offer a high quality, value for money service. Our work is subject to stringent quality checks and we have access to other services within VAB such as legal and HR advice.

We are also part of a South Yorkshire wide and a national network of community accountants who can provide support and expertise.

For more information about the services we can offer, or to arrange a free initial consultation, please contact:

Angela Hayes
Community Accountant
Tel: 01226 320116

Charity Reporting and Accounting

The Accounting Framework - What you need to know!

The law requires that all charities, no matter how small, must keep proper accounting records and must prepare annual accounts to be available to members of the public on request.  Charities with an annual income of £25,000 or more are also required by law to have their accounts externally examined or audited.

The requirements placed on charities are largely determined by the level of income of the charity.  Full details of the charity reporting and accounting requirements can be found in the publication ‘Charity Reporting and Accounting – The Essentials (CC15b)’  - available on the Charity Commission website:

NB. The minimum requirements will be overruled by the specific additional requirements of the governing document of your charity and also by any requirements of your funders.  For example, even if your charity is below the audit threshold you will need to check that the governing document will permit an independent examination.  Where there is a specific requirement for statutory audit, an amendment to the governing document will be required before the charity can opt for independent examination.  This is something that the legal team at Voluntary Action Barnsley can help with.

For specific advice on charity reporting and accounting requirements for your group, or to discuss the option of VAB carrying out an independent examination of accounts, please contact Angela on 01226 320116 or 01226 320119.

back to top